Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
The Presbyterian church was organized in August 1798 and a log meeting house was erected a mile west of Kingston in what is today the McCoy family lot in Section 5 of the cemetery. A monument commemorating the log church is located there.
The cemetery was laid out in 1800 and several burials were made that same year. A second house was completed in 1814 which was in use until 1829. From 1829 to 1837, the concregation worshipped in the Methodist Episcopal church in Kingston. It built a third church in 1838 which was in use until 1860 when the congregation moved permanently to Kingston. The cemetery has continued in use to the present and is one of the oldest in Ross County.
Section 1 - read from east to west, each row from north to south.
Section 2 - read from east to west, each row from north to south. Section 2 is separated from Section 6 by an irregular open strip of ground.
Section 3 - read from east to west, each row from north to south.
Section 4 lies along the west fence and consists of 4 rows of tombstones running north and south which are numbered from west to east. Row 1 and 2 lie west of a drive and rows 3 and 4 are on the east side of the drive. The rows were copied from north to south.
Section 5 - read from west to east, each short row from north to south.
Section 6 - This old section consists of occasionally irregular rows that run north and south.It lies immediately east of Section 4 and there is no visible separation of the two sections. The rows were numbered from west to east and read from north to south. The lower part of some of the older stones had to be dug out to read the inscription. Half a dozen stones were found which were nearly buried indicating others are now beneath the ground.
Section 2 - numbered from west to east, read from north to south. A drive between rows 16 and 17.
Section 3 - numbered from west to east, read from north to south.
Section 4 - numbered from west to east, read from north to south. Rows are sometimes difficult to follow. At the north and south ends of Row1, there is an additional short row of stones that were included in Row 1.
Section 5 - copied from north to south without regard to the row.
The cemetery was copied by Society members in 1986 and again by Bob Casari in early 1999.